Emotional Support Animal Letter

Emotional Support Animal Letter

Emotional Support Animal Letter services offered in Elmhurst, IL

Need an emotional support animal letter? Well, you have come to the right place. All you need to do is schedule a virtual visit and have a qualifying medical diagnosis and the letter is yours! 


Emotional Support Animal Letter Q&A

Here are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) related to emotional support animal (ESA) letters:

  1. What is an Emotional Support Animal (ESA) letter?

    • An ESA letter is a document written by a licensed healthcare professional that certifies the need for an emotional support animal as part of a person's mental health treatment plan.
  2. Who can prescribe an ESA letter?

    • Licensed healthcare professionals includes: psychiatrists, mental health counselor, psychologists, licensed clinical social workers, primary care provders, and therapists, can provide ESA letters.
  3. How can I get an ESA letter?

    • You need to schedule an appointment with a licensed healthcare professional. During the appointment, you should discuss your mental health condition and how an emotional support animal can help. If they determine that an ESA is appropriate for you, they can provide the letter.
  4. What information should be included in an ESA letter?

    • An ESA letter should include the  health professional's contact information, their professional license details, the date of the letter, and a statement certifying your need for an ESA. It should also mention the type of animal, if known.
  5. Do I need to register my emotional support animal?

    • There is no official registry for emotional support animals. While some websites offer registration services, they are not legally required or recognized. An ESA letter from a licensed professional is what grants you the rights associated with an ESA.
  6. Can I take my ESA on airplanes?

    • Yes, under the Air Carrier Access Act, you can usually travel with your ESA in the cabin of an airplane with proper documentation, including an ESA letter. However, airline policies may vary, so it's best to check with the specific airline for their requirements.
  7. Can my ESA live with me in "no-pet" housing?

    • Yes, under the Fair Housing Act, ESAs are generally allowed to live with their owners in housing that has a "no-pet" policy, as long as you have an ESA letter.
  8. Are there any restrictions on the type of animal that can be an ESA?

    • In general, ESAs can be any domesticated animal (not limited to dogs or cats). However, the animal should not pose a threat to others and should be manageable in a housing or public setting.
  9. Do ESAs have access rights in all public places?

    • No, ESAs are not granted the same access rights as service animals. They are primarily allowed in housing and for air travel. Access to other public places may vary by location and should be checked with local regulations.
  10. Is my ESA letter valid forever?

    • ESA letters typically have an expiration date, often within one year of issuance. You will need to renew the letter as needed to maintain your ESA's status.